Conditional (if) sentences.

  • If I study, I will pass the exam. → Si estudio, aprobaré el examen. 
  • If I studied, I would pass the exam. → Si estudiara, aprobaría el examen. 
  • If I had studied, I would have passed the exam. → Si hubiera estudiado, habría pasado el examen.
There are 3 types of conditional sentences. Hay 3 tipos de oraciones condicionales:
  1. condition is possible to fulfill - la condición es posible de cumplir 
    • if-clause = Simple Present (Presente simple) 
      • If I study,
    • main clause = will-future or (Modal + infinitive)
      • I will pass the exam 
  2. condition is in theory possible to fulfill - la condición es en teoría posible de cumplir 
    • if-clause = Simple Past (pasado simple)
      • If I studied,
    • main clause = would + infinitive *
      • I would pass the exam
  3. condition is not possible to fulfill (too late)  - la condición no es posible de cumplir (es demasiado tarde)
    • if-clause = Past Perfect
      • If I had studied,
    • main clause = would + have + past participle *
      • I would have passed the exam
* Se puede sustituir could o might por would y a veces es posible cambiarlo por should, may must.
  • I would pass the exam.
  • I could pass the exam.
  • I might pass the exam.
  • I may pass the exam.
  • I should pass the exam.
  • I must pass the exam.
Además, la cláusula con "if" puede estar al principio o al final de la oración: 
  • Cláusula al principio: (la oración lleva coma)
    • If I study, I will pass the exam. 
    • If I studied, I would pass the exam.
    • If I had studied, I would have passed the exam. 
  • Cláusula al final: (la oración no lleva coma)
    • I will pass the exam if I study. 
    • I would pass the exam if I studied. 
    • I would have passed the exam if I had studied.

      Comentarios

      Entradas más populares de este blog

      Lista de verbos irregulares coreanos (con su conjugación)

      말고, -지 말고 - No A, sino/pero B

      -(이)라고 + sustantivo (decir que + ser + sustantivo)